The 22nd edition of the Winter Traditions and Customs Festival brought Sunday December 29, 2019, in Negrești-Oaș, ensembles, groups and Christmas carol singers from all the villages in the Land of Oaș, Codru and Sătmar, from all corners of the county, from Maramureș, Sălaj and Cluj, but also from Ukraine, as well as hundreds of locals and guests.
Same as the previous years, the event started with a magnificent parade of the traditional costume from the Orthodox Cathedral to the Outdoor Oaș Land Museum, where the groups attending the festival have spread their cultural heritage, inviting people to sing Christmas carols together and also to dance the traditional dance.
Each year, the festival has increased its value, a growth certified each time by a jury made up of ethnologists and musicologists that analyze and assess the performance of each carol group, according to the regulations of the festival.
For this edition the jury was composed of:
- dr. Natalia Lazar, assistant professor at the Baia Mare Northern University Center;
- Marcel Malanca, archpriest of the Orthodox Deanery of Oaș;
- Doru Dejeu, teacher, leader of the “Someşul” folk ensemble from Cluj Napoca;
- Dan Variu, associate professor at the „Gheorghe Dima” National Academy of Music and lyric artist at the Transilvania State Philharmonic;
- Legal adviser Ioan Cionca, general secretary of the Negreşti-Oaş town.
The purpose of the Festival was to revive an old archaic custom, when, after attending the Holy Liturgy, the entire community gathered at the circular dance stage (known in the land of Oaș as „ciupercă de danț”), celebrating the joy of the reunion and expressing through music and dance the entire spirituality of the Oaș Land.
The event was organized by the Negrești-Oaș Town Hall and Local Council, through the Town House of Culture, in partnership with the Oaș Land Museum and the Negrești-Oaș National Center for Tourism Information and Promotion.