The first document that makes reference to Oas Country dates back to 1270 when the king of Hungary donated to a nobleman a few villages from the south-eastern boundary of Oas Country. In this document, Oas Country is referred to as “Terra Awas”. Some historians claim that the origin of the term Oas would derive from the term Awas (Oas) that means deforested place (deforestation, “clearing”). Oas Country is also in Grigore Ureche’s Annals.
Negresti is mentioned connected to “the path of the salt” that started from The Salinas and Giulesti-Maramures over the mountains to Negresti, the Sathmar area and then towards Pannonia in the Maramures diplomas from the XIVth and XVth centuries.
In 1452, when the fortress Satu-Mare belonged to the Huniazi family, Negresti is mentioned as belonging to this family. Around 1490 it is cited as being framed in the domain Mediesu Aurit. In the next centuries until the XVIIIth century the Oas domain, so, also Negresti, pass from the Hapsburg’s domination to that of the princes of Transylvania.
Oas is mentioned in The Annals of the Moldavian Country by GrigoreUreche. In the XVth centuries the hunters still used to find in Oas: breeds (Castor fiber), aurochs (Bosprimigenius), buffalos (Bison bonasus).
We find important mentions about the people’s life in the documents from the XIXth century.
Oas Country enters in Romania in 1918 through the Union proclaimed at Alba Iulia but in 1940 it goes back to Hungary by the ceding of Northern Transylvania through Wien Diktat and it comes back to Romania de facto in the autumn of 1944 (and by right in 1946 through the Peace Treaty from Paris). In 1952 it becomes a district of Maramures region, and in 1975 it becomes again a part of Satu Mare county.
A Hungarian historian wrote more than 100 years ago that “Felsofalu, meaning Negresti in Wallachian language is the biggest Romanian habitation from Oas. This village spreads across 77 hills but it has, though, only 300 houses.”
In 1964 Negresti was officially declared a town.