Vama is a village known for the ceramic products that are made here. The pottery is an old custom, since the Dacian period. Vama is situated in the south part of the Oas region, lengthways of the Satu Mare – Sighet road, at the entrance in Negresti.
It has always been an important ceramic centre. Here, this occupation dates since early times when the enamel had been decorated, under the Byzantine influence, with new procedures, colours and motives.
Inside the Vama museum are exposed more than 500 pieces, some of them older than 300 years. The colours used for painting the earthen pots are 100% natural, respecting the same ingredients as 2000 years ago.
The pottery in this region is considered of been ancient. Still, it is very difficult to confirm this because of the lack of the necessary information.
The documents that have been found in the middle of the 19-th century show the existence of this ancient occupation, even before 1850.
At the beginning of the 20th century, there were over 30 potters in Vama, 12 in 1950 and today there is only one, Gheza Isvanfi, of Hungarian nationality, engaged by the Negresti museum.
The value of the Vama ceramics is equal to Hurezu or Obiga one, thanks to the pottery techniques, shapes and ornaments used by the craftsmen.